Jyu Oh Sei( Japanese-獣王星 Romanji-Jū Ō Sei,lit. "Planet of the Beast King") is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Natsumi Itsuki(well known for writing science fiction manga). An 11-episodes long anime adaptation was animated by studio Bones and premiered in Japan on April 13,2006 as a part of Fuji TV's Noitamina programming block. It made it's North American debut on Funimation Channel on May 9,2009.
The Jyu-Oh-Sei manga by Natsumi Itsuki was first serialized in Hakusensha's monthly shojo manga magazine-LaLa in December,1993. Several chapters of the series were serialized in Hakusensha's other bi-monthly shojo manga magazine-Melody. The chapters released were then collected into five tankōbon volumes and later re-released into three kanzenban volumes.
It was licensed and released in English in North America by Tokyopop. All of the releases were finished by January,2003. It was translated by Yuya Otake and adapted by Clint Bickham.
In total it had 5 volumes and 16 chapters.
Jyu-Oh-Sei has been adapted into an anime consisting of 11 episodes,animated by studio Bones, which began airing in Japan on April 13, 2006. The series has been licensed in North America by Funimation Entertainment and Manga Entertainment in the UK. In Japan it aired on two networks-Fuji Television and Animax and in the US,on Funimation Channel. It originally aired from April 13,2006 to June 22,2006.
It was directed by Niroshi Nishikiori and written by Reiko Yoshida. Music was composed by Hajime Mizoguchi. The opening theme-"Deep in your heart"(album-Mirror) is performed by Kōichi Dōmoto and the ending theme-"手をつないで" (Te wo Tsunaide) is performed by Younha.
Running time-23 minutes per episode
List of episodes Edit
- Ochre Ring
- White Wolf Demon
- Beast King
- There are couple of small extras included with the first volume of the manga(Tokyopop edition)
- two-page planetary map of the Vulcan Star System where the series takes place
- a timeline of planetary exploration from 1999 to 2436 (present day from the series's perspective)
- a one-page postscript from the author(Natsumi Itsuki)thanking the people she worked with during Jyu-Oh-Sei's print run and its more recent anime adaptation
- The manga character design has a strong 80's vibe to it
- This series is also sometimes called "Juuousei" "Planet of the Beast King" or "Death Game"